Saturday, June 5

Sewing Night

Last night a friend, Sara, and I had a sewing night at my house! It was so much fun and I learned a lot! Sara is an experienced seamstress and was very helpful! I wanted to make a pillowcase dress. I thought I could have done it on my own, but I just wanted her there for moral support (and someone to talk to). She showed me how to use a pattern and then we cut the fabric, pinned it together, and I sat down at my machine to start sewing. It didn’t take too long to realize that my sewing machine is old and doesn’t work very good!

IMG_9076

No wonder I have been getting frustrated every time I used the thing. I mean I did find it at a thrift store so I can’t be too upset. Sara even had a hard time with it, the thread kept bunching up and jamming the machine. Changing the tension, thread, or bobbin didn’t help. So Sarah brought in her newer machine and I got the dress finished with no problems!

_MG_4022a

(Don’t worry grandparents, I will have a picture with it on my little model soon)

It was SO nice to not have to rip seams and start over!! I then said to myself, “So this is what sewing is supposed to be like?!?!”

So now that I realize that it is my machine and not me that is the problem, I’m looking at new sewing machines. I need your opinion though. I know a lot of you sew so please tell me what you think, or what you have!  By looking online and at reviews I think I’ve narrowed it down to 2.

A Brother XL2600i which is a more basic machine.

41ysjnfgw9L._SL500_AA300_

Or a Brother CS6000i which is a little more advanced and computerized.

414a nfEyrL._SL500_AA300_

So what do you think? I may not be able to go and get it right away, but I will be getting opinions and putting it on the wish list. :)

0 comments: